Monday, November 25, 2013

Sail Norse Rail?


This is a triptych detailing the process I used to create an imaginary transit map for the Luther College campus, similar to John Coltrane's sketch of A Love Supreme, some of Pat Steir's visual work, and the musical idea of building from a riff.. The first panel is a custom map in Google Maps - a rough sketch of my idea (my "riff," if you will). The second panel is my first stab at stylizing the shapes I created in my sketch. The third panel is the finished product.

5 comments:

  1. Um, Sam...this is brilliant. We should talk. You should send this to Rob Larson, one of Luther's VP's for marketing. Assuming that there aren't copyright issues, I can imagine this being used in all sorts of cool ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I really enjoyed getting to see your process on this project. The notion of using a google map for this is a great idea, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderfully structured, and such a great idea of creating something in the process. Really cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is so cool!! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sam,
    This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete